I learnt this recipe from my mom, its easy to make and delicious too. Vj loves this for a change to sambar. I like the simplicity of the preparation as it doesn’t involve cooking dal and adding another vegetable in gravy.
Simple few ingredients but the onion, green chilli and asafoetida flavour are the one doing magic.
Though this is a parangikkai gravy, we call it parangikkai chutney only.
- Yellow pumpkin, cubed – 2 cups
- Tamarind – small gooseberry sized(lesser than we use for sambar)
- Onion – 1, big in size
- Green chillies – 7
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing — 1/8 tsp
- Pressure cook pumpkin to 3 whistles,and mash it without to smooth paste with potato masher.(You can also run it in mixer after cooling )
- Cut onions into cube and slit the chillies.
- Soak and extract the tamarind juice.
- Heat kadai and add the tempering items followed by green chillies,curry leaves and onion.
- Saute till onion becomes transparent.You can add asafoetida at this stage too..
- Add tamarind extract,salt and bring to boil.
- Add the cooked mashed pumpkin and mix well.
- Boil for some 5-6 minutes and serve hot with Rice.!!
Goes well with dosa also.It will be in nice colour of pumpkin yellow and no need to add turmeric also.