Masala milk is a flavored milk with various spices. There are various versions, this is one of the simplest version with flavorful results.
Masala means the spices they add in milk. Usually masala milk is popularly served in marriage functions to end the meal.
Never used to like the masala pal they give in marriages. But now some how my taste changed and wanted to try it out.
It is also believed to give a good sleep, so can be had during the night time before bed. The recipe source is here.
Adapted it and made my own I liked to add ‘panag karkandu’ palm sugar crystals in place of sugar and also added a pinch of pepper powder.
Also skipped nuts like pistachios, almonds or cashews for garnishing. The milk is very flavorful and delicious!
Masala paal recipe
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 Pinch Edible camphor Mustard size
- 6 Almonds
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 2 tablespoon Sugar or palm sugar crystals
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Pieces
- 2 pinches Pepper powder optional
- Soak safforn in luke warm milk and almonds in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Peel the skin of almonds and grind it to smoothly with little water.
- Boil milk with cloves,elachi (powdered) , cinnamon,camphor, then add the ground almond.
- Add the soaked saffron milk and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Lastly add palm sugar crystals and pepper and give it a boil.
- Choose good quality saffron and make sure you add not more than a pinch, adding more will spoil the taste.
- You can add chopped nuts if you like it.
- Some times palm sugar crystals has impurities. You can strain it by dissolving it in hot water.
- Adding crushed cardamom and edible camphor gives a great taste. So this is the main flavor in it. You can skip cloves and cinnamon too.
- This is my own version, so there may be some differences from authentic recipe!
Masala milk method
1. Soak saffron in lukewarm milk and almonds in hot water for 15 minutes.
2. Peel the skin of almonds and grind it to smoothly with little water.
3. Boil milk with cloves, cardamom (powdered) , cinnamon, camphor, then add the ground almond.
4. Add the soaked saffron milk and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Lastly add palm sugar crystals and pepper and give it a boil.
If you want you can discard the whole masalas before you add almonds by straining the milk. Enjoy the milk warm!