Aloo bhindi masala gravy, with an unique base without any cream or cashew base. Step by step recipe.
I got this recipe from my friend Sangeeta, she was so sweet to mail me a complete ‘North Indian Thali menu'.
The menu was so simple and I will soon post that. But first I thought of posting this recipe in my blog.
I always wanted to try aloo and bhindi combo for long time. And she read my mind.
This recipe was so simple and the taste was awesome! I had it with roti and I am sure it will go well with any plain pulao or steamed rice and a simple dal tadka.
In this recipe, you can also get a greenish colored gravy by increasing the coriander leaves, which tastes great too! So try by yourself and enjoy!
Aloo bhindi masala recipe
- 14 Ladies finger young and small
- 2 Potato
- 4 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¾ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 5 Green chilli
- 6 Garlic flakes small
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Chop onion, tomatoes roughly, peel the garlic.
- Grind everything under “to grind” table to a smooth paste.
- Clean the ladies finger and pat dry it using a kitchen towel.
- Cut the head and tail of it and slit it in the middle to check.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoon of oil and arrange these ladies finger and cook in medium-low flame.
- Turn/toss to ensure even cooking. carefully drain the ladies finger from oil.
- Arrange peeled and round cut potatoes and cook them till golden and soft. Drain from oil.
- Temper with cumin seeds.
- Add the ground paste and add all the masala powders-red chilli, garam masala, coriander and turmeric. Add salt.
- Mix well and fry in medium flame until oil oozes out and raw smell goes away.
- Add the fried ladies finger and potaoes and add ½ cup water and mix.
- Boil in medium flame for 2-3 minutes until the masala coats the potatoes and ladies finger.
- Fry in medium flame with generous oil. So that the bhindi and aloo gets cooked.
- A reader suggested doing this part in microwave oven, to avoid excess oil. I have to try myself, but felt its a good idea.
- I was first doubtful how it would taste, but then the bhindi and aloo was really good with the masala, when ate together. Totally enjoyed it!
Step by step photos
- Chop onion, tomatoes roughly, peel the garlic. Grind everything under “to grind” table to a smooth paste.
- Clean the ladies finger (bhindi) and pat dry it using a kitchen towel. Cut the head and tail of it and slit it in the middle to check.
3. Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoon of oil and arrange these bhindi and cook in medium-low flame.
Turn/toss to ensure even cooking. carefully drain from oil.
4. Arrange peeled and round cut potatoes (aloo) and cook them till golden and soft. Drain from oil. Temper with cumin seeds.
5. Add the ground paste and add all the masala powders-red chilli, garam masala, coriander and turmeric. Add salt.
Mix well and fry in medium flame until oil oozes out and raw smell goes away.
6. Add the fried bhindi and potaoes and add ½ cup water and mix.
Boil in medium flame for 2-3 minutes until the masala coats the aloo and bhindi.
Garnish with coriander leaves if desired and serve with roti or mild pulao.
really nice and colorful. my mom usually makes dry poriyal with aloo and ladysfinger. bookmarked
Bhindi n aloo is a very good combination..I too make it and love it as well..looks very nice raji..:)
Mouthwatering Bhindi aloo Raks:-)The first clicks is awesome!! Perfect Combo:-) Loved that cute Kadai..did u get it from here?:-)
Tasty alu bindi, nice combo. Loved the clicks,very professional like.
Wow looks yummy yum...both veggies are my fav..perfect with rotis
Very yummy base of masala. Nice way of cutting the potato into rounds. Love to have with rice and dal.
wow delicious masala,luks yummy...
very interesting....potato n okra is really new combo..perfect with rotis!!yum yum!
So colorful and yummy,love the masala..looks delicious
Uppu seedai, Kaimurukku Kallakalo Kalakkal !!!
Bindi masala is simply droooool worthy 🙂
This is indeed a great Combo.. I too make this often... The pictures are just making me drool in this morning.
I love visiting your blog.. it has been a long time i heard from you.. how have you been?
I loved this recipe as well .. n did i share with you tht your Mango Sago is my fav from ur blog 😀 ..
Fantastic and fabulous curry. Simply mouth watering 🙂
A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine
Fantastic step by step recipe...love your presentation..
looks absolutely mouthwatering and tempting.. Yummy 🙂
wow..this looks mouthwatering and tempting.....like to try this...bookmarked.... nice clicks too 🙂
Love the combination.Loved the way you cut potatoes in circles..Delish!
I also make it in a similar way. Love this with plain paratha or chapathi.
Looks delicious and tempting. Nice clicks as always.
very interesting combo,never tried before...masala looks so perfect n yummy...
Looks yum and nice pics
Wow what a recipe. My mom males a dry version aloo bhindi, this is soo different n lovely
Hey this definitely great. For a minute I was reminded of the restaurant where I had eaten it. Delicious recipe. Beautiful presentation and pictures.
Do check out my event and send me your entries.
Looks like a delicious gravy but a little work too.
Beautiful!! Its mouthwatering!!
Masala looks awesome . I do it the dry curry way.. Nice recipe
Thats one yummy and great looking gravy Raks
That is one good looking curry.. must be great for parties.. can't wait to try.
Yumm.. looks very delicious, as Cilantro said, little bit work, but I guess it is worth every effort.
This looks so yum....a must try!!!..
WOW super post...great recipe and will make this subji today..yummooo!!!
wow, this is super yummy, lovely preparation, sure to try this out, liked the alu in circle shapes..
Wow a diffrent recipe and looks delicious ...
two of my all time favorite things in this recipe! and I admire your patience for taking all those wonderful step-by-step pics!
Declious curry ~ I love love this combo with parathas!
Looks delicious and tempting...love the combination!
love the way you have arranged the step by step pics. enna, jeyashri and you posting recipes also similar now? kalakkunge! 🙂
Looks so tempting and delicious.
Wow that's a yummy one.Love the combo of veggies and perfect for rotis/chappathis.
looks so rich and delicious. perfect for chappati's.
This looks too good....Yummy one...Thanks for the recipe
Awesomw recipe. Looks delicious and Bookmarked toooooo 🙂
Lovely, potato in the curry is the wonderful add, Raji!
Wow so so good.. perfect for rotis..
The gravy looks fantastic..Nice rich color & perfect consistency!!
Seriously drooling over that yummy gravy,absolutely irresistible..
Nice combo. New to me.Iam drooling over the pics 🙂
Coming here for the first time I guess..You have a lovely space here..So much of hard work reflects in your each post..great job done :D..and the gravy with bhindi/aloo looks delicious..hugs and smiles
This looks so yum. I love aloo bhindi and the microwave method looks too tempting for me to try!
Nice post on aloo bhindi masala..Enjoyed the stepwise pics..
wow...tempting and wonderful clicks...thanks for sharing...
Aloo Bhindi masala sounds good and looks delicious like resturant style..
I'm just drooling it.. Super clicks & yummy curry..
looks great and appealing , another great side for roti's
Looks soo tempting..yummy and delicious..:)
both are my fav veggies and you have done a perfect combo of both...love the gravy..
Looks soooo yummy.
looks really really awesome.. clicks are mouth watering !! must a try out dish in my list..I shall definitely bookmark the link.. thanks for the post 🙂
I Just made it today it came out very well. funny thing is i keep looking at the pics you posted to check whether I'm doing it right or not. Its so awesome and made my mom too happy that i can cook!!! HoOoOoOoOoOhOoOoOoOoOO!!!!!!
Interesting idea..but i will fry them together rather than doing them separate
Can't we fry both aalu and bhindi together rather than doing them separate? Let me try frying both together..
I made this curry today with just bhendi, and it was a superhit!! Now I don't have to go the restaurant to eat bhendi masala 🙂
Hi Raks, first time visiting to your blog. Doing a great job. Bhihindi masala looks yummmmm.. Will try it tomorrow.
Very nice....Prepared by my sweet heart...
Just tried this recipe... My son loved it and his comment in one word is :YUMMMY!!!!!
Thanx a lot...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just tried this recipe...My Husband loved it...It came out well. The pics helps to verify every step in the process. Thanks for posting this.
I tried this recipe... It came out well... Thanks for posting this!! My Husband loved it!
Looks so yummy
Wow. I just bumped on your side searching for a good sidedish and I tried this recipe instantly and I should say it came out pretty well.
Thanks for the photos. They were very encouraging during the process to check myself if I was in the right direction.
can you tell me how many persons the above given quantity would serve, and the cooking time? Planning it for a corporate pot lunch so..Thanks!
The above recipe serves 3
Superb dish.... Thanq... My dad, brother liked it very much... its OSM, thanx a lot... no words to say....
Awesome gravy.. Mouth watering... Chanceless...