Kids friendly fired rice (American fried rice style) has all the things your kid would love in the plate. This is inspired form American fried rice which is usually served as a platter.
When we serve fried rice, kids ask for ketchup or sauce as side dish. At times, we adults as well love the quite contrast taste to go with.
Couple of unique ingredients in this recipe makes it quite interesting.
- Ketchup (I used chilli tomato sauce)
- Sweet corn
See recipe card for quantities.
American fried rice
Though the name is American fried rice, it is not named after the region. In Thailand, restaurants serve this fried rice named so.
It actually called so as a 'platter' with fried eggs, chicken, hot dogs, tomato and cucumber salad as sides. So all this comprising along with this fried rice makes it American fried rice.
It is also very similar to a Mexican rice platter (Source)
I adapted this recipe from Hot Thai Kitchen
Is video more your thing? Then you must watch my Kids friendly fried rice quick video in Youtube.
Usually an American fried rice is served with other non vegetarian items in the plate as a platter. I just adapted the fried rice recipe alone as it was so kid friendly.
It is naturally vegan provided you are using vegan friendly sauces.
Vegetables - Typically this fried rice have corn and raisin along with other veggies. Otherwise, carrots are also an appealing for kids. Do not skip these three.
Instead of frozen/ fresh peas, you can use green beans or snap peas.
Sauces - Ketchup is the one it makes Kid friendly/ American fried rice style. So you may not skip it, but you can replace half the portion with tomato chilli sauce or sriracha for extra spice.
Rice - I used Sona masoori. Check out my how to cook basmati rice post in my website. You can adapt the same for cooking Sona masuri or even seeraga samba.
Any leftovers can be stored in fridge and used within 48 hours. Just toss in high heat for couple of minutes in a wok before serving.
How to make an Awesome fried rice that beats restaurant ones:
- Though we can't have the high heat provided by the restaurant hobs and stoves, we can always make sure to cook in high heat/ flame.
- Adding enough oil is important. Remember we it's 'fried rice'
- After adding rice, stir in high flame until you hear crackling sound of rice in oil + heat.
- Use refrigerator chilled rice for best results.
Kids friendly fired rice (American fried rice style)
- 2.5 cups cooked rice refrigerated
- ½ Onion
- 2 tablespoon Garlic
- ¼ cup Carrot heaped
- 2 pinch Pepper powder Black/ White
- 2 tablespoon Raisin
- ½ cup Peas + Sweet corn
- 2 tablespoon soya sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Salt as needed
- Keep all the ingredients ready before starting. Heat a pan with oil, after that add onion, garlic and carrot together.
- Add pepper and cook for couple of minutes in medium flame.
- Now add raising and give it a fry. After that add sweet corn and peas.
- Cook until raisin bloats up.
- Following that, add cooked rice. Also soya sauce, ketchup and little salt. Note that sauces have salt in it.
- Mix well in high heat until you hear crackling sound of rice. I used my Ikea steel pan for this in case you are wondering.
- Adding enough oil is important.
- Chill the rice preferable over night in refrigerator for best results. This prevents rice grains to be separate yet tasty.
1. Keep all the ingredients ready before starting. Heat a pan with oil, after that add onion, garlic and carrot together.
2. Add pepper and cook for couple of minutes in medium flame.
3. Now add raising and give it a fry. After that add sweet corn and peas.
4. Cook until raisin bloats up.
5. Following that, add cooked rice. Also soya sauce, ketchup and little salt. Note that sauces have salt in it.
6. Mix well in high heat until you hear crackling sound of rice. I used my Ikea steel pan for this in case you are wondering.
Serve hot. We all had it with Gobi manchurian gravy.